Sunday, June 5, 2011

Antique Auction

My husband and I decided to head over to Haskell, Okla. to the Haskell Antique Auction on Saturday morning.  We've talked about going to the auctions for years but just never made it over. With nothing else to do we decided this weekend was the time. They are held every two weeks during the summer months and then once a month during the rest of the year.  We had seen auctions on HGTV and wanted to just sit and see how it works in person. We've been to estate auctions at homes before but never an auction house.  We went an hour early to view all the items that were going to be put up for auction. There were over 6,000 items to be auctioned off on view. From antique and modern furniture to cars, guns, tools, fishing and camping equipment to housewares and dishes.  Everything you could imagine was there for auction.  We stayed four hours and it was still going strong when we left.





I had to try a few times bidding on different things just to get my feet wet, so to speak. This cake stand with lid is my only purchase of the day. It is glass with scalloped edges and has three small legs it stands on. Paid $7.00 for it. My husband bought our oldest son some camping cots and camping fold out tables. I think a days' outing for less than a hundred dollars is pretty good entertainment.

In two weeks there will be another auction at the same place and this time they are auctioning off items from an antique store that is going out of business. Instead of having a garage sale this summer we have decided to clean out our garage and take all our stuff over to be auctioned also. So, in two weeks I'll have another blog on how we did.

Christine

8 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your cake saver. It is gorgeous. Sounds like a fun day. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

I'm panting from the excitement of it all!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Oklahoma Granny said...

It sounds like an interesting experience.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, and a better way to sell your things!

Vee said...

I hope you do very well and don't come home with more than you took. I love your cake stand. I have one that's not quite as fancy, but it does stand on three legs. Did the cover come with it?

Ina in Alaska said...

That cake thingie is pretty cool AND you can put all your breakfast donuts on it!! :)

The auction sounds like fun! I am excited to see how you do!

Anonymous said...

How Exciting!!
The cake plate is Beautiful :)