Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Dog's Life on a Ranch


Recently my husband and I bought this children's book for our three year old grandson. Charlie the Ranch Dog, by Ree Drummond is one of the cutest children's books I've read.  The story is about Charlie and Susie, two of the dogs on her ranch in Oklahoma.  The text centers around how these two dogs spend their day on a ranch. The illustrations are adorable.  It's a must read book with our grandson.


The pictures above are the real Charlie and Susie that are in her cookbook. I bought the cookbook last year and it includes recipes with how to pictures and  pictures of her children, husband and animals. If you haven't seen the cookbook you are missing out on some home grown Oklahoma recipes.  Our grandson loves the cookbook because of all the pictures of her dogs, horses and cows. It's one of his favorite books.  He was familar with Charlie and Susie, and when she wrote a book about them we just had to buy it for him.

If you have young children or grandchildren I highly recommend this book. I also recommend The Pioneer Woman Cooks for a great cookbook.

Happy reading and cooking,
Christine

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks and sounds like a great book for my youngest grandson! Thanks!

Carol said...

Thanks for the reccomendation, I will buy this for Ethan & Emma!

Smiles,
Carol

Anonymous said...

I have the cookbook and love it. The chocolate sheet cake is to die for!!

Oklahoma Granny said...

Have you heard that Ree is going to have her own cooking show on the Food Network? It was/is being filmed at the ranch. I understand you'll see more than just the lodge kitchen too. Maybe the dogs will make an appearance.

Anonymous said...

That is a sweet book :)

Vee said...

Yup, it's a keeper here, too. Glad that your little grandson enjoys it. I must get down my recipe book and try reading that to the grands. Perhaps they'd like it as much as this book.