Friday, August 13, 2010

Not To Hot for Okra

The tempertures in Oklahoma have been over 100 degrees for the last eight days and everything is suffering from this unrelenting heat. My husband and I water the grass, plants and flowers every day to keep them somewhat alive. We've lost most of our garden despite our efforts and we are almost to the point of giving up. There is however one plant that seems to thrive in this heat. Why I don't know. Our row of okra is producing like mad. Everyday I have to pick okra pods from the stalks or they get to big to eat. When they get to big they are to tough.


These okra plants I grew from seed and they are on the far left of the picture. They have gotten huge. They also produce a beautiful yellow flower with a red center.

                                                                                


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
I don't care for pickled okra so I wash, slice and freeze them in freezer bags and place them in the freezer until we are ready to eat them.  The best way to fix them is to coat them with flour and/or cornmeal and deep fry them until golden brown. Some people like them boiled with tomatoes but that's not for me. Too slimy. Maybe next summer I'll forgo all other vegies and just stick with growing okra. I can always give it away to my neighbors and family when we've had our fill.

                                                                    Fried Okra

12 tender okra pods, 4 inches or smaller
one half cup all purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten
one half cup cornmeal
one half teaaspoon salt
2 cups peanut oil or canola oil

Slice each pod crosswise into one half inch rounds. Place flour, egg, and cornmeal in separate shallow bowls. Coat the rounds with flour, then drop them into the beatern egg. Use slotted spoon to transfer the okra rounds to the bowl with the cornmeal. In a deep-fryer or large skillet heat oil to 350 degrees F. Lift the okra out to the cornmeal, again using a slotted spoon, and shake off the excess cornmeal. Carefully drop the okra into the oil piece by piece so it doesn't stick together while cooking. Don't overcrowd the pan; you will need to cook 2 or 3 batches. Cook until light brown, about 15 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt.

Okra is an Oklahoma favorite with any meal. But it's great with brown beans, stewed tomatoes and corn on the cob on the side. If you've never had okra this way you need to try it. Yum!

Christine                                                                                                                                                                            

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Not on my plate please. Sorry, but happy you love it lol.

Oklahoma Granny said...

It certainly has been hot and the perfect okra growing weather. I'm not a huge fan of okra but I'll eat a little if it's fried right. I'm thinking I might not like it so much because picking okra was one of my jobs at home when I was in the 5th - 7th grades and I hated the job. My husband likes it fried and LOVES it pickled.

We still have a few tomatoes coming on and we planted some pumpkins and gourds the first part of July. They seem to be doing well, knock on wood! I so want a pumpkin patch this year so the grands can pick their own.

Anonymous said...

You better save me some!!! Grow extra for me!

Sis

JacksDad said...

Okra is one of my no-eat foods. Even growing up, I couldn't stand it and we had mounds of it. Of course, everyone else in my family loves it! :)

Linda said...

Growing up in Oklahoma I thought everyone ate okra. Even here in Texas most restaurants serve it. I was surprised when we lived in Nebraska that you found it in neither the grocery stores (not fresh or frozen) or restaurants. Guess it is a southern thing!